Some reasons why customer care is important were highlighted in a survey carried out by the CBI (Confederation of British Industry) in 2009.
Their main conclusions were:
• Only 1 customer in 10 with grounds for complaint actually does so.
• Those customers who experience problems tell between 8 and 15 people about the problems, whether or not they have formally complained.
• 9 out of 10 people who complain and have a problem that is not dealt with satisfactorily will never buy again from that supplier, or do so as a last resort.
• 9 out of 10 people who complain and have a problem that is dealt with satisfactorily will buy again from that supplier. In fact, they rate the supplier higher than if the problem never occurred in the first place
• It costs 5 times more to attract a new customer than to keep an existing one.